What You Need To Know To Enroll Your Child In School

NOTE:  Atlanta Real Estate Brokers provides this information as a service to our clients and prospective clients.  The information is from the Cobb County School District website.  Each district may have different rules and/or requirements.  Parents should check with the district their child will be attending to verify requirements.  Special thanks to Cobb County for this valuable information.

Enrolling your child in Kindergarten?

Georgia law requires that kindergarten students be five years old on or before Sept. 1 and first grade students be six years old on or before Sept. 1 to be registered.

What Will The School Need To Enroll My Child?

Georgia law 20-2-690.1, requires any person, whether or not a parent or legal guardian, who has, “control or charge of any child between their sixth and sixteenth birthdays,” to enroll and send the child to a public school, private school, or home study program.

The following is a brief summary of documentation needed by any parent/legal guardian (granted through the court system), or non-parent seeking to enroll a student in the Cobb County School District (District).

If the person enrolling the student is not the student’s parent/legal guardian, the school will require the enrolling person to fully complete Form JBC-11 (Non-Parental Affidavit), as implemented by the State July 1, 2007, to be considered by the principal for approval.

There are FIVE (5) main documents required of ALL students prior to being enrolled in the District. To help ensure that the enrollment process for your child goes as smoothly as possible, please refer to the following items:

1. CERTIFICATE OF IMMUNIZATION: as required by Georgia Law 20-2-771:

2. CERTIFICATE OF VISION, HEARING, DENTAL, AND NUTRITIONAL SCREENING:     as required by Georgia Law 20-2-770 (Georgia Form 3300) for all kindergarten and new first grade students, all students new to Georgia and any child enrolling from a private school dated within 12 months prior to the day of enrollment. However, if a student is enrolling from another Georgia public school, a completed 3300 Form will be accepted by any District school.

3. PROOF OF BIRTH DATE: for students enrolling in kindergarten (the age of five on or before Sept. 1) or first grade (the age of six on or before Sept 1), students new to Georgia or coming from a private school. The school will accept evidence in the order set forth below that show the student’s date of birth. Refer to Section B of Rule JBC-R (Admissions/Withdrawals) for additional entrance age requirements.

  • Birth Certificate
  • Military ID
  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • Adoption Record
  • A religious record authorized by a religious official
  • An official school transcript
  • Affidavit of age

4. PROOF OF RESIDENCY: Residency as defined by the Georgia Board of Education rule 160-5-1-.28 shall mean the place where the student lives with a parent, guardian, or other person, (refer to Form JBC-11) unless the student is an emancipated minor. The student must be an occupant of a dwelling located within the school system boundaries. Proof of residence in the attendance zone in which the school is located shall be required when a student enrolls in a school and whenever a change of residence occurs, unless the student is homeless. Individuals not legally admitted into the country cannot be denied a free public education.

Any Two items from the list below are required by the person(s) enrolling a child in the District.

  • home ownership title
  • lease or rental agreement
  • current utility monthly statement
  • current Georgia driver's license
  • Georgia identification card
  • current bank, credit union, or other financial institution documentation
  • mail delivered by the United States Postal Service
  • employer documentation
  • a Cobb County property tax statement
  • voter registration documentation from Cobb County
  • a current motor vehicle registration (tag receipt)
  • Form JBC-2 (Statement of Legal Residence).

5. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: According to Georgia Law 20-2-150d; An official copy of the student’s Social Security card/number is required for enrollment. However, no student may be denied enrollment for failing to provide his/her Social Security number. Any parent/legal guardian who objects to the incorporation of the Social Security number into the child’s school records may have the requirement waived by signing a statement objecting to the requirement Form JBC-4 (Statement of Objection to the Use of Social Security Number for Student Identification). However, a Social Security Number will be required by the State for a student applying for the HOPE scholarship.


  • Homeless Children (McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act) Any parent/guardian who may be living in a homeless situation should complete Form JBC(1)-1 (Student Residency Statement) and contact the  Homeless Education Program at 678-503-0173 for information/interview.
  • International Students (International Welcome Center) All International Students, grades 6-12, who are planning to enroll in Cobb County School District should contact the IWC at 770-819-2383 for language testing and/or review of transcripts/records for appropriate placement. Elementary International Students are processed at their local schools.


6. A valid transcript and a withdrawal form from the student’s previous school is essential for appropriate academic placement. Parents who can not provide a valid transcript and a withdrawal form from the previous school must fill out Form JBC-8 (Authorization to Release Records) to enroll their student on a conditional basis. Any student who is enrolling in the District for the first time in grades seven or higher must provide a discipline record from the school previously attended in order to be granted full admission status. Refer to Form JBC-9 (Disclosures Required for Conditional Admission). Form JBC-9 must be completed at the time of enrollment.

7. For those students enrolling in the Special Education Program: the parent/guardian may provide a copy of the student’s latest IEP.

8. Custodial Documents: The District may request proof of custody in situations involving multiple adults claiming control of the same student.

A complete explanation of enrollment requirements and documentation may be found in District Administrative Rule JBC-R (Admissions/Withdrawals).

Additional Information:

The School May Also:

  • request proof of custody or custody documentation; or
  • suggest that the adult with whom the student lives obtain legal guardianship.
  • request proof of age and name verification; and
  • other information the school deems necessary for proper placement.

Provide the names and phone numbers of persons who may pick up your child if you cannot be reached, and the name and phone number of your child's doctor.

See Rule JBC-R (Admissions/Withdrawals) for additional details on Admissions.

TIPS: To expedite enrollment and placement for transfer students: